7 Point Checklist to Improve Health Outcomes for Medicare Advantage Members
Help seniors covered under your Medicare Advantage plan realize better health outcomes with an effective patient care logistics solution.
Transportation is a vehicle for wellness.
For Medicare Advantage plans, connecting the dots between transportation and healthcare outcomes that lower costs is critical to member satisfaction and your organization's financial growth.
Here are seven projects Medicare Advantage plans can implement to improve health outcomes for members:
- Offer ride-sharing services as an alternative to traditional non-emergency medical transport.
- Communicate medical transportation logistics to members in real-time using a smartphone.
- Make it easier for members to fill prescriptions, obtain DME, and receive at-home services.
- Pre-schedule standing transportation orders for members on dialysis or other appointments related to chronic conditions.
- Update member benefits to include non-emergency medical transportation services for routine medical care.
- Develop health literacy outreach programs that help members understand and utilize transportation-related benefits.
- Address the social determinants of health (SDOH) with innovative digital solutions.
What Research on Older Adults Has Found
A 2010 STUDY by the Upper Great Plains Transportation Institute indicates that older adults who miss appointments due to lack of transportation do eventually make those trips.
However, as they are delaying the trips to a later time, they may not get the care at the time they most need it.
Moreover, the level of care required may be more serious and more costly.
Improve Health Outcomes While Driving Down Costs
Transportation that enables members to access routine health care can have many positive downstream effects that will improve their overall health.
For payers, this means not only a healthier Medicare Advantage population but fewer episodes of care that require hospitalization and other costly services.
A study by the TRANSIT COOPERATIVE RESEARCH PROGRAM found the reduction in healthcare costs and improvement in quality of life more than offsets the cost of providing NEMT services.
Help seniors covered under your Medicare Advantage plan realize better health outcomes with an effective PATIENT CARE LOGISTICS SOLUTION.